Wednesday, February 10, 2010

local, organic, and other whatnot

***Posted by Kyle

One unexpected thing that I have started to learn about doing this whole thing is where our food comes from. It all started a couple of months ago when I was watching Food, Inc. It's a movie that exposes the underbelly of where the bulk of the processed, pre-packaged, hormone-laden food we eat comes from. Now, don't hear what I'm NOT saying. I still like Doritos. I still like Mountain Dew. I'm not going to become some hippie type, only eating food that I grew and throwing paint on anyone that has ever raised a caged chicken. However, we have started to be more conscious about what we eat, and where we buy it.

As you may have gathered, we have started buying more stuff at local farmer's markets. Because it is a frozen wasteland in Missouri in February, the choice of locally grown produce is miniscule. From that standpoint, we still buy our onions, peppers, asparagus, etc from Schnuck's (although we do try to at least only buy produce from the U.S.). We have also started buying organic milk, free-range chickens, and organic eggs. The price tag on some of these items is almost overwhelmingly large- Eggs used to cost us about $1.30/dozen, and we are now paying closer to $4.00. Milk used to be $2.69/gallon, and now it is closer to $6.00/gallon. However, since we are eating out much less often, and spending less when we do eat out, we can afford the more expensive, healthier, organic options.

All of this is just to say that I hope you start really thinking about what you put in your body. There's a lot of delicious food out there that just isn't good for you.

That's my $0.02 for the day.

Have a great day, try and make a healthy decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment