Sunday, November 6, 2011

My name is Nicole Harsha, and I’m addicted to TV

As I come out of my six hour movie haze I realize that I’m hungry and thirsty. I get up from my couch bed and make my way past the shoe cemetery, dog hair tumble weeds, dirty laundry dump, clean laundry dump and enter the land of crusty dishes and slimy pots and pans. Never mind that this is the fifth cup that I have had a beverage out of today, creating more dishes for me to clean, I still reach for a clean glass and pour myself some water. Here is what goes through my head as I look around on my way back to the couch.

Man, this place is a mess.
What’s that smell? Is it in the kitchen sink or the trash?
Look at all that laundry.
Why do we always leave our shoes in the living room to step over?
Where did I put my, ooooh, Hanna is now available on demand. I’ll watch that then clean. Yeah, that sounds good.

I love TV. Actually, I love movies and now that we have a million movie channels I find that I can’t pull myself away from the screen. They are my way of escaping the world for a couple of hours. Ever since I was a kid I’ve had this way of tuning out the world and only hearing what was on TV. My sister used to make a game out of it and see how many times it would take me to realize she was calling my name. It never got past five.

Lately, I’ve let television rule my life. Instead of using it as a relaxing couple of hours I’ve been escaping into oblivion. The entire weekend Kyle was gone fishing I watched movies. I could have done so much with my time, but I chose to “rest” instead. Even as Kyle watches football (something I don't enjoy watching all day), I still lie around and do nothing. Well, I’m tired of being a filmy goo on the couch. I say that as soon as I’m done typing, which I’m secretly using as a procrastinating ploy, I’ll clean this house and do the laundry! Damn it, I will be lazy no more.... at least until Cowboys and Aliens is available at red box.

Charlie nesting in a pile of dirty laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment