Monday, October 31, 2011

Rest

We need rest.

As a nation, Americans are over-worked and under rested. Just think about it- the term "workaholic" has almost become a badge of honor in our society. We are constantly caffeinated, and even when we aren't "working" we are constantly inundated with a stream of information from our emails, cell phones, Twitter feeds, Facebook pages, Sportscenter, News at 6, Texts, etc, etc, etc.

This has led us to become a nation of people that will die early while being fat, stressed to the max, and with no concept of real connections with people.

We have forgotten what it is like to sit back, relax, unplug, and enjoy the world around us.

This weekend, I decided to change that. I went down to the Lake of the Ozarks with three other guys that I barely know. On Friday, after we watched the end of the Cardinals game, I turned my cell phone off ((GASP!!!)). Not once until I got home Sunday evening did I check my email, twitter, or facebook.

You know what? It was awesome. We spent time as guys fishing, farting, playing cards, cussing, and talking about relationships, God, and how we were going to fix the problems of the world. By the time I got back on Sunday I realized that the information overload that I had unplugged from had very little relevance on my life during that day and a half. My company was still in business, my wife still loved me, and my house hadn't burned down. I was a great combination of rested and exhausted- it felt great.

I would encourage you to do the same. Sometime soon, truly unplug for a day or two, you'll thank me for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment