Thursday, October 27, 2011

Gettin Physical

So, today I did something that I haven't done in probably a decade. I went to the doctor for a physical. Let me say from the beginning that I'm not proud of this. The "longest time between physicals" is not a game that you want to win. Especially if you are starting a new health regime, it's pretty critical that you get yourself checked out so you know what your baseline readings are for weight, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.

You know what? It really wasn't that bad. I had lost 5 lbs since I was last at the doctor's office (in August for a small procedure that you definitely don't want details on), my blood pressure was perfect, and my ekg looked just dandy.

I did have a small problem with getting my blood drawn. Here's the deal- I hate needles. I would make the world's worst heroin addict. It all stems back to me getting freaked out by that scene in Star Wars where they are about to pump Princess Leia with truth serum from that floating basketball-robot-needle-thing. As an impressionable lad, that scene scared me into thinking all needles were bad. Just ask my folks about my various incidents at doctor's offices growing up. So, when the medical assistant stabbed me with the jagged metal, my face turned pale. She looked at me, and said "You can't faint, because I'm not going to catch you." Luckily I didn't pass out.

The doctor said that we are doing the right things- eating better, exercising more, losing weight.

We'll see how my blood work looks next week, but I'm not worried.

Until then, have a great weekend- I'm going fishing.
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment