Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Yes, I said Roller Derby …

****Posted by Nicole



Last night I found myself in a meeting with women named Stitches, Enya Nightmare, Bare Knuckle Smack, and The Punctuator. Yes, I was checking out the Saint Louis Arch Rivals roller derby team. A couple months ago Kyle saw the movie Whip It and decided that was the perfect thing for his shy bride to get involved with. He talked it up, I saw the movie, we watched a documentary, and I checked out the Arch Rivals on the internet. Slowly I began to cross over and think, maybe I can do this.

I signed up for the information night to see if it was something that I really might be interested in, or if it was me just wishing I could be that bad ass. Come to find out these chicks are crazy serious about their….sport? It is very physical and a lot of work and time. To even be considered you have to first go through three weeks of Booty Camp, which is basically your try out. Then you are picked to be a newbie and go through extensive training. Aften you get smacked around for a few months you get drafted onto a team. The entire process takes about 6 months to a year, and that's only if you are drafted. They train you for a long time because the better in shape you are, the better off your body will survive the shoving, falling, bumping, tripping, and sliding.

I’ll keep you updated on my adventures and I am super excited to try this out. I have until December 13 to get my skate on and kick some butt! Wish me ….lots of padding!

http://www.archrivalrollergirls.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment