Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Tomato Basil Massacre

****Posted by Nicole

The past few weeks I’ve been afraid of our garden. When Kyle and our friend Kelly planted it I knew the day would come when I wouldn’t want to go out and look at it. Either I would get tired of taking care of it, or the job would somehow overwhelm me. Well it happened. The monster tomato plant and the heat of the summer scared me away.

However; Last night I conquered my fears and waited till the sun went down to attack. Armed with a headlamp and shears I pruned (more like hacked) my way through our tiny garden. I started with the Basil and chopped all the flowers off. Then I moved to the monster. It fought back hard with mosquitoes and ants, but in the end I won. It had grown so big that it was leaning over the fence and was inching its way through the grass in our back yard. There weren’t any tomatoes on it and had produced plenty to eat, so I cut it to a more managable size. I’m not sure if this was the right way to treat it, but it needed to be done. Our roma plant just needed a few limbs cut off to keep it contained and same with the pear and cherry tomato plants. Overall there were few fruits harmed and I walked away with 7 mosquito bites on both arms and a victory under my belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment